Prep. time: 45 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
1kg Steak Mince
2 plum Tomato’s
2 Garlic Cloves
3 tbsp Blanched Almonds
2 tbsp Raisins 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
10g Dark Chocolate
1tbsp Chopped Coriander
½ a small red onion
1-2 fresh red chillies
3 ripe avocados
1 bunch of fresh coriander
6 ripe cherry tomatoes
extra virgin olive oil
Mexican Red Mole Burger with Chunky Classic Guacamole
- Halve the chillies, pull out the seeds and discard.
- Place in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soak for 20 mins until softened, then discard the water, roughly chop the chillies then put into a blender.
- Heat a frying pan and tip in the tomato. Cook for 5 mins, until the tomato skins start to blister and turn brown. Add to the blender. Heat the oil in the same frying pan and cook the onion, garlic and almonds for 5 mins.
- Stir in the raisins, oregano, cumin and cinnamon, then cook for a further 2 mins until the onion has softened, the almonds are golden and the raisins have puffed up. Tip into the blender.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan, stir in the chocolate and let it simmer for 20 mins or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Let the mixture cool before mixing through the mince along with the bread crumbs.
- Then shape into 8 burgers. For best results make the day before needed.
- Peel the onion and deseed 1 chili, then roughly chop.
- De-stone the avocados and scoop the flesh onto the board.
- Start chopping it all together until fine and well combined.
- Pick the coriander leaves, roughly chop and add the tomatoes, then continue chopping it all together.
- Add the juice from 1 lime and 1 tablespoon of oil, then season to taste with sea salt, black pepper and more lime juice, if needed.
Chef’s Tip (Tony Budde):
Serve the burger with flat leaf lettuce on a toasted bun along with sliced beef tomato, lots of guacamole on top of the burger and if you want exam warmth some sliced jalapenos on top.
A winner of various awards which include:
Dumfries & Galloway Life Chef of the Year 2010/11 Finalist 2016/17
Nominated for CIS catering in Scotland. The Hospitality Educator of the Year Award 2017, sponsored by CH&Co Group which will be announced at CIS Excellence Awards 2017 dinner on Thursday 25th May, Hilton Glasgow
I have been working as a freelance Chef as well as working with the local high schools Home Economics Departments & Dumfries and Galloway College.