Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 – 3 hours
2 skinless chicken breasts, diced.
500g Pork Mince
12 rashers streaky bacon
1 tbpn olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp brandy, optional
50g pistachios, roughly chopped
50g dried cranberries
3/4 tbsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 thyme leaves
Pork & Chicken Terrine
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently cook the onion until softened without colour.
- Carefully add the brandy, and burn off the alcohol then tip mixture into a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Use enough of the rashers of streaky bacon to line the inside of a small loaf tin, leaving any excess hanging over the sides.
- Add the chopped chicken, pork, pistachios, cranberries, nutmeg, thyme leaves and plenty of seasoning to the onion mixture and combine.
- Press the mixture into the loaf tin, leveling the mixture. Fold any overhanging bacon over the filling; cover with the remaining rashers.
- Press down firmly and keeping the loaf tin upright drop onto a wooden board to knock out the air bubbles.
- Grease a sheet of aluminum foil and press on top of the loaf tin, then put into a roasting tin.
- Half-fill the roasting tin with hot water and carefully transfer into oven.
- Cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes until the terrine feels solid when pressed.
- Lift tin out of the water. Carefully pour out any liquid from the terrine into a container and leave to cool.
- To serve hot, preheat oven to 180°C, un-mould the terrine on to a baking tray and lightly brush with oil.
- Bake until it starts to brown and is above 83°C.
- Serve with warm apple sauce.
Chefs Tip (Tony Budde):
You can serve cold. Remove the settled fat from the top of the liquid, reheat the remaining liquid and add some gelatine then pour over the terrine while still in the loaf tin , then chill over night.
Alternatively, you can wrap the terrine in puff pastry and bake.
A winner of various awards which include:
Dumfries & Galloway Life Chef of the Year 2010/11 Finalist 2016/17
Nominated for CIS catering in Scotland. The Hospitality Educator of the Year Award 2017, sponsored by CH&Co Group which will be announced at CIS Excellence Awards 2017 dinner on Thursday 25th May, Hilton Glasgow